Need help? Call our Helpline!
The Term-time helpline will be open between 9:30 - 12:30 and 1 - 4pm Monday to Friday as well as Tuesday and Wednesday evenings 8pm - 10pm, unless stated on the dates below.
Monday 6th September 2021 - Friday 22nd October 2021
Monday 1st November - Friday 17th December 2022
Tuesday 4th Janurary - Friday 11th February 2022
Monday 21st February - Friday 1st April 2022
Tuesday 19th April - Friday 27th May 2022
Monday 6th June - Friday 22nd July 2022
(Note: our admin staff cannot respond to helpline queries)
We presently do not offer a call back service
Call ►0208 538 3731
We offer advice on:
- getting the right educational help for your child
- liaising with the school or local authority
- interpreting official letters
- requesting an EHC Needs assessment for your child
- finding independent expert professional advice
- appealing to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE UNABLE TO CALL PEOPLE BACK ON THE HELPLINE. ALL OF OUR VOLUNTEERS WORK FROM DIFFERENT LOCATIONS AND THEY DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE ANSWER MACHINE FACILITY TO CALL YOU BACK.
If you are unable to get through to the helpline, then it is best to try again - once a caller finishes talking to an adviser the line will be free again. We also have 10 advice centres where you can visit for face-to-face advice.
WE DO ASK YOU TO TRY TO RESTRICT YOUR CALLS TO ABOUT 20 MINUTES TO FREE UP THE LINES FOR OTHER CALLERS.
Helpline Calls Answered
Help to keep our helpline and advice centres available to everyone
Text message costs £10 plus one standard text message.
Getting the best from the Helpline
We do understand that callers may be worried when they call and it will be easier to ensure that the volunteer gives you the best advice possible if they have a concise but complete account of your concerns. It also ensures that not only can your case be dealt with well, but that more parents can be helped during the session time available.
Before you contact us, you might want to review:
- A copy of the SEN Code of Practice.
A PDF version of the SEND Code of Practice: 0 to 25 years (from September 2014) can be downloaded from the Department of Education website .
- There is other useful information, including a Guide for Parents which can be found .
When you phone the helpline you will find the volunteer welcoming, please try to:-
- Call from a landline as the line is usually clearer.
- Find a quiet, distraction free location.
- Have all your papers in order with you, so that you can refer to them easily.
- Note down beforehand the key points e.g. all the needs you know or feel your child may have, the name of the local authority you live in and any information from the school.
- Have pen and paper to hand and write down the information given.