SEN Journey: Support in Education

We suggest you organise a meeting with the SENCO at the school. Provide whatever evidence you have from your own resources to support your conversation. If it's a mainstream school, remind them of their duties under the SEND Code of Practice 2015 to identify and arrange support for children with SEND. Refer to their own SEND policy which should document how SEN is identified and also point to the Local Offer on the approach taken.
Dyslexia is a special educational need and as such, may require specialist educational provision to be made to support the child or young person over and above what is available within the typical mainstream resources. This might include specialist teaching, a high level of support from a TA, or a specialist setting. Each case is an individual one. This would then require an EHCP. Dyslexia is also considered a disability under the Equality Act 2010 and therefore, depending on the scale of need, a school will be required to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that the child or or young person is not disadvantaged compared to his or her peers.
No this is not accurate. The legal threshold contained in Section 36 (8) of the Children and Families Act 2014 does not require that the school spends £6,000 before you can apply for an EHC needs assessment. If you receive a refusal to assess where this is stated, the LA has applied a higher level criteria to its decision-making which would not be a lawful reason to refuse.
No. This is not the case. A child or young person does not need to have received a formal diagnosis in order to get support from a school or apply for an EHC needs assessment.
That might be a LA policy, but it’s not law. The legal threshold identifies only 2 criteria that the LA must consider when deciding whether or not to assess: may your child have needs, and may special educational provision be necessary.