I phoned the Legal Aid Agency and was told that we couldn’t get legal aid in our child’s name. Why?

If you were asking about legal aid for the pre-action letter, they were right. If they were talking about legal aid for the purposes of starting a JR claim, they were wrong, and unfortunately this is an error we come across too frequently. It is better to contact one of the firms that has an education or public law legal aid contract direct.